Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Freezer door alarm

In uk.d-i-y, Jim wrote:
wrote:
I wonder if some sort of magnetic detector might work better - there
are, after all, magnets in the door seal. Or perhaps a low-profile
keyboard-type switch between the cabinet edge and the seal? Or any other
ideas?

How about one of the window burglar alarms sensors that uses a magnet
and reed switch?

Excellent idea - and not too conspicuous if mounted *under* the door. I
can't imagine why I didn't think of that, because I recently designed
some very effective LED drawer lights using exactly what you suggest. I
even know where to get the right sort of switches, with contacts that
*close* when the magnet is withdrawn (the opposite of what's needed for
alarm applications).

It might be a bit of a fiddle getting the range right but it's a very
promising idea. Thanks.

--
Mike Barnes