Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

"Sledge Hammer" wrote in message
: I'm getting a couple of handsaws in the near future for doing
tenons
: and dovetails. I saw something called "professional German
handsaws"
: at traditionalwoodworker.com ($50 for two 12 inch tenon saws, one
: cross and the other rip, and I think $13 for a dovetail saw).
: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...p/cPath/37_651
Anyone
: have experience with those? There's no brand, but some of the
other
: nonbranded stuff they sell has an uncanny resemblance to particular
: brands.
:
: Any other suggestions? If I could spring for the look and quality,
I'd
: go with Lie-Nielson, but that isn't in the cards right now.

For the dovetails I find the Zona 35-350 "Woodcraft" saw works
nicely. The blade is 6-1/2in long by 1-3/4in deep, with a stiff back
and 14TPI set to cut on the pull stroke.

If you prefer a push stroke saw there is the Zona 35-380 "Dovetail"
saw with an 8in x 1-3/4in blade and 18TPI.

Most decent hobby shops have, or can get, them. You can also order
direct from Walthers (http://www.walthers.com) items 795-350 and
795-35380 respectively, or Horizon Hobbies
(http://www.horizonhobby.com) items ZON35350 and ZON35380.

Depending on where you get them, and the phase of the moon, the price
ranges from $8.50 to $9.50 each for both styles.

Len