Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Mea culpa: yes, they *do* make solar panels w/concentrators

wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 22:43:38 +0100, "Clot"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:39:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 03:30:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/6/2009 5:43 PM dpb spake thus:

TX panhandle just about went blackout last August owing to an
unforecasted/undetected wind shift line that shut off
virtually all their wind generation output almost instantly
at a peak summer load when supplying almost 15% of grid up to
that point. Managed to load shed and recover, but it was
iffy. Such operational issues aren't on the radar for the
greenies that think all you have to do is have nameplate
generation capacity installed and it's all done.
If they're good greenies they'll take all that into
consideration. We need smart greenies, not just
party-line-followers or PR flacks.
Most of the greenies, as you call them, that I've come
across all live in la la land. Thanks to their government
school education, have absolutely no clue when it comes
to understanding basic science or engineering. "All we
need is electric cars" "OK, where you gonna plug them in?"
"Uh, uh, the electrical outlet." "Where's the power for
the outlet gonna come from?" "Well, wind and solar."
"What sort of wind and solar, please explain?" "Well, it's
....... YOU'RE A RACIST!" That's what I deal with when I
try to get them to come down out of the clouds.

TDD
That may be your experience but it isn't mine. Most
environmentalists that I know are interested in how to do things,
not just slogans. We just had a Going Green event in my county
and there were many lectures and presentations.

Everything is a tradeoff, but the basics are that we need to
shift away from non-sustainable and polluting energy sources and
towards sustainable and cleaner ones. And, from what I read
about global warming, we'd better do it pretty fast.

I'd love to put up a windmill in my backyard. No idea how though.
Or solar panels on the roof, which is why I looked at the thread
in the first place. Not trivial I understand. Hopefully under
Obama we can get the cost down enough to make it practical. Even
without a storage system it should pay.

Actually, I don't know any environmentalists who fit your
description.
OK, who's going to pay for it? "We will all have to sacrifice
so we all can go green." "What if someone, like me, doesn't
believe in all this nonsense of global warming and is not willing
to give up or sacrifice anything because of junk science?" "Well,
well........YOU'RE A RACISTS!" I really don't try to argue with
those who worship at the alter of junk science. I just have to
laugh and shake my head because I feel sorry for the poor
misguided souls. Oh, global warming has struck here again in The
South, it was below freezing last night and it will be colder
tonight. Hurry up global warming, I'm cold!

TDD

The first step on your journey to enlightenment will be to learn
the difference between weather and climate.

All rectangles are squares, but not all squares are rectangles,
grasshopper.

I tried to pull statistics out of my ass once.
All I got was dirty, smelly hands.

You are right,he just did. All squares are rectangles, but not all
rectangles are squares.

If you have any hair, it is now neatly parted in the middle.

Afraid not, a high albedo on top; too much testosterone I've been told! I
have a wide parting, it could be said!