Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Mea culpa: yes, they *do* make solar panels w/concentrators

dpb wrote:
dgk wrote:
... Most environmentalists
that I know are interested in how to do things, not just slogans. We
just had a Going Green event in my county and there were many lectures
and presentations.

For the individual I don't doubt it (altho as some have noted, it may be
the cynic in me but I also tend to observe it) there are a lot in the
field that are there solely for the money _they_ derive, not because
they give a hoot about "green" per se...

I, otoh, am more concerned about the bigger picture of national energy
policy and overall economic competitiveness for the long haul.

While it's a little jump from the above specific point I'll stick it
here simply to avoid another post...

I also was going to note that some of the movements that want the public
to think their green may not necessarily be what they claim if one looks
under the hood. For only one specific example, during the recent siting
debate for a new generation facility here, there was a statewide TV,
radio and print campaign against it on purported environmental concerns
from an organization that was titled/presented as a ground-roots
concerned citizens' movement. Turned out, when discovered where it came
from and its source of funding, it was a competing adjacent-state
utility whose service area abuts the area to be served and that has a
wholly-owned subsidiary which is, conveniently, in the NG supply and
distribution market. 90% of the funding and all of the advertising
direction and creation actually came from them simply looking to protect
their turf and hopefully convert from clean-coal to a NG-fired unit for
which they would be the obvious supplier owing to proximity.