Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

"Nova" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:

Backsaws typically come unsharpened. They're not especially difficult
to keep sharp, but I don't find them worth the trouble. I use
pre-sharpened, disposable Japanese pull saws instead. One for one,
the sharper, finer saw gives the faster and cleaner cut. It's tough
to beat the cheap ryobas and dozukis. My most favorite saw for
joinery is a moderately priced rip dozuki.

I've never seen a new back saw, or any new saw for that matter, that
was sold unsharpened. Can you cite an example?

Toolsforwoodworking.com.

Hmmm. Wrong one. Try this:
http://toolsforworkingwood.com/

If by not unsharpened, you mean the tooth shaped edge on the slab of soft
steel... I have yet to see one that could cut worth a darn straight out
of the package. It's not much different from a newly bought chisel.

It looks like "Tools For Woodworking" is selling Pax and Gramercy saws.
Both are sold sharpened. Some of the Gramercy's indicate they are a
"hand-filed and hand-set saw for the smoothest action".

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...Category_Code=

The saws may not be set up the way you prefer but they are sharpened.

The quality of the steel in the saw will not change no matter how it's
sharpened.

Chisels are sold sharpened but usually unhoned. A honed chisel's edge
wouldn't fair well in shipping.

Let me know where you're buying the Pax or Gramercy for $50, let alone for
the pair. Of course you can buy them sharpened. You asked to see an example
of saws sold unsharpened. This is but one:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=TMQ

Call the chisels what you want. The edge isn't usable for much more than
staining the work with body fluids.