Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

"Sledge Hammer" wrote in message
I'm getting a couple of handsaws in the near future for doing tenons
and dovetails. I saw something called "professional German handsaws"
at traditionalwoodworker.com ($50 for two 12 inch tenon saws, one
cross and the other rip, and I think $13 for a dovetail saw).
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...p/cPath/37_651 Anyone
have experience with those? There's no brand, but some of the other
nonbranded stuff they sell has an uncanny resemblance to particular
brands.

Any other suggestions? If I could spring for the look and quality, I'd
go with Lie-Nielson, but that isn't in the cards right now.

Backsaws typically come unsharpened. They're not especially difficult to
keep sharp, but I don't find them worth the trouble. I use pre-sharpened,
disposable Japanese pull saws instead. One for one, the sharper, finer saw
gives the faster and cleaner cut. It's tough to beat the cheap ryobas and
dozukis. My most favorite saw for joinery is a moderately priced rip dozuki.