Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Concrete Driveway Patch Job

" wrote in
:

On Apr 7, 10:12�am, Red Green wrote:
Just looking for a patch job so it's at least presentable and last
maybe

year. I'm sure the right way is to dig up entire sections, new pack,
etc.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24mb...ic.com/view.ph

p?pic=11rzrc4&s=5

Have no real knowledge of concrete/driveway work. Thoughts are to cut
out bad hole area with maybe a rental tool, dig out some whatever is
there, toss in some stone, put in some concrete or something, hope.

Been sortta keeping an eye out for someone having driveway work done
to h

it
em up for a side job but no luck yet.

Anyone wanna toss out some hack attacks?

Red...

I would probably want a new driveway. It looks like the rest is
pitted as well, which means you will never really get a match with a
patch job. You could powerwash to help the colors come closer, but
the pitted areas will pick up dirt more quickly.

That being said, I suppose a decent patch would be to remove all of
the loose pieces and undercut the edges to prevent heaving as best you
can (which may not be much). A layer of stone, 4" of concrete, and
broom finish it. Then I would address the crack as a possible
tripping hazard.Since you probably aren't going to slabjack that,
maybe a sloping patch. Once that is all completed, a pewter or gray
concrete stain (after sufficient curing time, which is months to a
year, I believe) may make the whole area look a little more uniform. I
saw that paint was suggested, but it might be better to use a stain
which doesn't reduce traction.

I would probably want a new driveway.

Yea me too! I don't disagree with any of the critics I set myself up for
here.

Trouble is this particular place is an old (30+ yrs) starter home 1200sf
that will probably sell for around 80K. It was a trashed forclosed home
bought cheap, but unfortunately, before the **** hit the fan last fall or
it would have been a lot cheaper even. Many bucks put into it to get the
inside and outside in well above condition of comps, including both heat
and AC system. So, a few more K can cut in percentage-wise.

I realize I may just have to eat this. Heck, some of these people in
parts of the country have been screwed 100k+ just doing their everyday
living thing. Some deserve it for being fools and some are victims of the
acts of the fools.

No one denies it's a buyers mkt but less so here. Being in a military
town many homes are VA. The VA never allowed home prices to skyrocket
like in many areas. The rest of the work done on this place, the exterior
and interior daily living space, is very nicely done. No hacks or
patches. New stuff from the HVAC to countertops to flooring to lighting.

Yea I suspect these "buyer's market" people would try for new driveway
and new windows and new roof just since it's dirty and 'someday' it'll
need replacing...and whatever else they can get out of any seller.

**** happens - good ****, bad ****...but **** always happens.

Red...