Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Heat probe for localizing defective devices?

JW wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:32:41 +0100 "N_Cook" wrote in
Message id: :

JW wrote in message
Hello,

When doing repair work, I often run into components that fail to work
properly when they heat up. Usually, I use freeze spray to try to localize
the problem, but it's getting to the point where components are becoming
so close together that the freeze spray affects too many devices on the
PCB. Does anyone know of a off-the-shelf device or piece of test equipment
that would allow one to heat up individual components on a circuit board?
something that would have a tip maybe 3 to 5mm. square or so, and have a
controlled output from 40-100c.

Thanks for any suggestions.

An old soldering iron with 1N4006 and selection of droppers in power line
and a calibration chart ?
Also a small accurate localised thermometer probe can be just a 1N4148 and
diode function of DVM, again calibrated with pan of heated water or
whatever.

Thanks, but I'm looking for something a little more professional that's
easy to use and reproducible temperature-wise. Something like you describe
would be temperature dependant on thermal load - a larger device would
cause the tip to become cooler and a smaller device hotter. I'd like to be
able to apply a precise temperature to devices from a SOT-23 to a TO-220.
I spent an hour or two doing some additional searching, and found this:
http://www.micro-technical.com/

I've got a request in for pricing and availability, Hopefully it won't be
much more than $500 or so...

What about somethng like this
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/275626.xml

Ron