Posted to alt.home.repair
BetaB4 BetaB4 is offline

Default Concrete Driveway Patch Job

My hack attack idea would be to knock out the bad hole area as you said,
clean out the whole, mix and pour in some concrete, and smooth it out. I
wouldn't bother with any rental equipment for such a small area that is
already broken up. A sledge hammer and a crowbar will do it easily. You
could try some cement crack patcher/filler to fill and level out the long
cracks if you want.

Can you have an asphalt driveway put in where you are? I am not sure how
big your driveway is, but it doesn't look to be too big. I had an approx.
900 square foot driveway removed and replaced with ashphalt about 2 years
ago for $2,800. I got a few estimates and they all came in at almost
exactly the same price except for one that was 50% higher. All of the
estimates included removing the old driveway, adding some modified stone to
the existing base and digging out and adding a new base of modified stone
for part of the driveway that was being widened, compacting the modified
stone, adding a 1 1/2 to 2 inch coat of ID2 asphalt as a stabilizing layer,
rolling and compacting that layer, adding a finish coat of ID2 asphalt on
top of that, and rolling and compacting that. No deposit up front. They
did it all in one day and I paid them at the end of the day when it was
done. While there, 3 other people on my street asked the same guy to do
theirs and he did them all (including mine) over a 2-3 day period while he
had all of his equipment there. It looks excellent two years later.

To get the estimates, I made a list of asphalt contractors and called about
10 of them. I left a message describing what I wanted done and I gave them
the address. Many never called back. 3 or 4 did. One gave a price over
the phone based on the dimensions. 3 others looked at it and gave me an
estimate. It's an outside job so you don't have to be there for them to go
out and look at it and give you an estimate.

Red Green wrote:
Just looking for a patch job so it's at least presentable and last
maybe a year. I'm sure the right way is to dig up entire sections,
new pack, etc.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24mbwqb&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11rzrc4&s=5

Have no real knowledge of concrete/driveway work. Thoughts are to cut
out bad hole area with maybe a rental tool, dig out some whatever is
there, toss in some stone, put in some concrete or something, hope.

Been sortta keeping an eye out for someone having driveway work done
to hit em up for a side job but no luck yet.

Anyone wanna toss out some hack attacks?

Red...