Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DManzaluni DManzaluni is offline

Default Carver M500t Electrical buzzing after warm up

On Apr 6, 1:37*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"DManzaluni" wrote in message

I have a reasonably loud Electrical buzzing about 10 minutes after
warm up on my Carver M500t which I suppose is a bit elderly by now.

Sorry if this sounds a bit unsepcific but does anyone know what can
cause that type of thing please? Do these things suffer from anything
as simple as leaky caps or is the unit probably terminal.

(I should add that I am in New York where there is unlikely to be
anyone nearby who can fix it so if it is not easy, I amy well not be
able to do it myself)

The electrical buzzing, does it come through the loudspeakers or is it more
of a mechanical vibration emanating from the amp/transformer itself? *If
it's coming through the speakers, I'd look at replacing the (either 2 or 4)
large electrolytic power supply filter caps... they definitely DO have a
finite lifespan. *The power transformer should work forever unless it's
asked to provide more current than it is able. *Even then there should be a
thermal fuse in the windings which would keep the windings from shorting.

Often the most difficult part of this re-cap is sourcing caps which are the
proper size and rating. *If you have trouble sourcing try posting on
AudioKarma or AudioAsylum boards, those guys have a lot of experience with
this type of repair.

Dave

Well that sounds more hopeful: I thought I had said that the sound
does come from the speakers: Apparently not! I might even be able to
do it myself if it is just filter caps: They tend to be relatively
separate from the rest of the internals. Is it this way in the Carver?
And how do I ascertain what the values are? I am in New York where
getting unusual caps shouldn't be too impossible.