Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Best Place for Dust Port on Bandsaw?

On Apr 6, 1:06 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
mac davis wrote:
OH! Almost forgot... If you use the hole-in-the-door thing, don't use a zero
clearance plate unless you really need to..
As was pointed out here a few years ago, it sort of defeats the purpose of
trying to create a vacuum in the lower clamshell... YMWV

The doors (I can call them that, now) on this don't seal at all.
There is a good gap around the entire circumference.

I put some weatherstripping around the edge of the door which allows
it to seal for at least the bottom 3/4s of the wheel, the top is wide
open.

I think I'd prefer to not put the hole in the door, since I'm going for
the most efficient blade change. That's one more thing to disconnect and
connect. I know, it's just slipping a hose on and off, but if I can
accomplish it, then why not?

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if I can connect a nozzle to
the bottom of the table, right beside the zero clearance insert hole.
That would keep the dust from piling up on the lower guides.

Since I'm using a shop vac, I could go with an 1-1/4 hose.
It gets everything my router can dish out.

I use a shop vac hooked up through a 2-1/2 pipe network. To the band
saw it goes to a Y, with one side going to just under the blade and
the other going to the back of the lower wheel housing. I found that
with just under the blade enough dust was still going through and
coming back out again at the back side of the wheel and still going
everywhere to be annoying. The hookup on the wheel doesn't prevent
the lower wheel area from filling up with dust, but it does prevent
anything from coming out. The hose under the table is held in place
with a few magnets. I don't have to take the other hose off the
housing for blade changes.

-Kevin