Posted to uk.d-i-y
BruceB BruceB is offline

Default Steel Bath - Equipotential Bonding versus RDBOs

"Richard Conway" wrote in message

Why do you think it needs to be bonded?

The packaging the bath came in had several largely printed warnings that
it must be earthed.

Good answer!
But I would not consider a bath manufacturer as definitive on electrical
matters!

I have re-read 701.415.2.
There is no specific requirement for a metal bath to have supplementary
equipotential bonding.
But if it was an extraneous conductive part it would need to be bonded.
Metallic pipes coming into the location need to be bonded if they are
extraneous.

But the regulation goes on to say supplementary equipotential bonding can be
omitted provided a number of conditions are met:
- main protective equipotential bonding is in place (ie water, gas etc)
- all final circuits in bathroom meet appropriate disconnection times
- all final circuits in bathroom have rcd protection

(I have simplified a bit)

If you are not altering the electrics then my inclination would be not to
start adding new bonding.

Regards
Bruce