Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default guttering

"cynic" wrote in message
On 7 Apr, 10:08, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

My gutter is about 9 metres long. A chap went up a ladder to clean it
out and said the seals were beginning to perish. He said they were not
a problem now but might be in the future, but he didn't say how long
into the future. Is it just a matter of replacing the joins or is it
best to rip the whole length down and replace whilst we have some nice
weather? If we did replace the gutter, what is the longest single
length you can buy? I see Screwfix and toolstation only sell 3 metre
lengths, I presume because of transport considerations. A builder said
you can get 4 metres lengths but even those would require three joins.

Thanks,
Stephen.

-Dont waste the planets resources replacing the whole gutter for the
-sake of a couple of pounds worth of replacement seals

Once the guttering has been subject to uv degradation and embrittlement,
changing the seals can be a problem (if you can get them). OTOH if they are
not leaking now, leave well alone until they are - if they do leak it will
start very slowly (drips). You can always pop some mastic in them, get a few
more years out of them and then change them. I suspect you are
over-worrying!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)