Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cells requested.

In article ,
pete wrote:
I find this hard to understand. Even cheap cells will supply more than
enough current for the motor to run at its maximum. I do know that
cheap cells may not last as long but I seriously doubt if you could
make a PPro run better by just swapping the cells unless the original
cells were already faulty.

One thing you need to remember is that the professionals on this NG have
a different set of values from "us" amateurs - who maybe do a little
woodworking or suchlike from time to time. For a start, anything they
buy is classed as a business expense. So they claim back the VAT _and_
buy things using pre-taxed income (and without N.I. either) That
automatically means that they have to earn far less - usually less than
half as much to buy a tool than the rest of us.

I'm not a pro and can't claim back anything for a tool of this sort. Or at
least haven't tried to.

Also, they value
reliability and ruggedness more than we (well, I) do. If one of my tools
breaks down, I just go and do something else with my spare time. For a
pro, if a tool breaks - that's lost income. (Same with havig to wait for
batteries to charge).

Really for simple DIY you're better off with a mains drill. You're
unlikely to be far enough away from a socket to make this a problem. But
for some reason simple DIYers want a cordless one - even although they
have nothing going for them in terms of drilling performance. And lots of
disadvantages.

So while it's nice to be able to pick their brains and get advice of how
to do jobs, we must remember that their opinions about what is value for
money are based on a different set of requirements than amateurs have.

I certainly wouldn't deny a cheap cordless drill will do what it says on
the box. But then so will a cheap chisel - but will need sharpening more
often and may not take as keen an edge as a good one.

Many here are into DIY because they enjoy it - as well as it perhaps being
a necessity, cost wise. And decent tools add to that enjoyment.

Try telling a golfer the cheapest clubs do the job just as well. ;-)

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.