Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cells requested.

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
There's a world of difference between a cheapo drill and a decent one
in performance - and mainly down to the better batteries. Good make
batteries give much more low end torque and make the tool more useful
for screwdriving, etc. I re-celled a PPro 18v with decent cells and it
improved it enormously. But it doesn't feel as nice to use as my
Makita.

I find this hard to understand. Even cheap cells will supply more than
enough current for the motor to run at its maximum.

The amount of current a cell can supply is one mark of its quality. And I
can assure you cheap ones can't supply as much current. Think it's down to
the internal resistance - and a low internal resistance makes the speed
controller work better.

I do know that cheap cells may not last as long but I seriously doubt if
you could make a PPro run better by just swapping the cells unless the
original cells were already faulty.

I can assure you it did. I'd bought a second battery before re-celling the
old one. Chalk and cheese.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.