Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cellsrequested.

On 7 Apr, 09:21, pete wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:45:23 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

There's a world of difference between a cheapo drill and a decent one in
performance - and mainly down to the better batteries. Good make batteries
give much more low end torque and make the tool more useful for
screwdriving, etc. I re-celled a PPro 18v with decent cells and it
improved it enormously. But it doesn't feel as nice to use as my Makita.

I find this hard to understand.
Even cheap cells will supply more than enough current for the motor to run
at its maximum.
I do know that cheap cells may not last as long but I seriously doubt if you
could make a PPro run better by just swapping the cells unless the original
cells were already faulty.

One thing you need to remember is that the professionals on this NG have a
different set of values from "us" amateurs - who maybe do a little woodworking
or suchlike from time to time.
For a start, anything they buy is classed as a business expense. So they claim
back the VAT _and_ buy things using pre-taxed income (and without N.I. either)
That automatically means that they have to earn far less - usually less than
half as much to buy a tool than the rest of us.
Also, they value reliability and ruggedness more than we (well, I) do. If one
of my tools breaks down, I just go and do something else with my spare time.
For a pro, if a tool breaks - that's lost income. (Same with havig to wait for
batteries to charge).

So while it's nice to be able to pick their brains and get advice of how to do
jobs, we must remember that their opinions about what is value for money are
based on a different set of requirements than amateurs have.

wise words - well written!
cheers
jim