Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Reconditioned vs. New

In article , says...
What is the general consensus regarding the purchase of reconditioned tools
vs. new? Yes, I know new is new but I see most, if not all, manufacturers
offer the complete warranty and incentives with a reconditioned tool as you
would a new. Of course, name brand is a consideration, therefore, let's
assume it's a name brand item such as Dewalt, Ridgid, Delta, Bosch, PC,
Milwaukee, Makita and so on. but not interested in Ryobi, Craftsman, Stanley
and Skil, though, they may have some higher end tools, I prefer what the
pros use. Therefore, would you purchase a reconditioned tool?

When purchased from the manufacturer this way, reconditioned does not mean
"used". How would they even get hundreds or thousands of one model of tool to
resell?

It means they were pulled from the warehouse and a certain part checked or
replaced in most cases. Once they were packaged for sale, they generally
cannot be opened, checked, repacked and sold as new. If anything, they are
*better* than the ones that are already sold.

It can also mean they wish to start marketing an updated model.

Most of my major power tools are recons. They have all functioned perfectly
for years.

--
Dennis