Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] is offline

Default 48 volts with switch off!

On 04/05/09 05:21 pm mm wrote:

I replaced some existing incandescent bulbs by LED bulbs, then noticed
that they do not switch off completely but still glow dimly.

LED? You don't mean complact fluorescent? I havent' seen LEDs that
fit wthout changes.

LED screw-in replacements for incandescent bulbs. Our local Sam's Club
has a few different varieties of them. I have a few that are claimed to
be 45W equivalent in light output for a consumption of 3.5W. The light
is somewhat blue, but it's fine for my purposes and works fine as a
replacement for the previous 50W incandescent flood.

But in the kitchen with a timer in place of the wall switch, I
couldn't get my CFL to turn off. Do you have a timer in the circuit.

No timer. Just an ordinary mechanical wall switch.

Perce

Checking the voltage at the lamp socket with a high-resistance
electronic multimeter, I get a reading of 48v!! A few volts might be OK
-- induction, stray voltages, etc., but 48V!!!

This occurs in two different rooms, but I think the various lighting
circuits are all connected to one breaker.

A timer in each room, and on lamps, seems unlikely.

What could cause this?