Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cellsrequested.

pete wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 16:53:13 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
TheOldFellow wrote:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:24:01 +0100
"JDT2Q" wrote:

Hi Folks,

About 7 years ago I bought a cordless drill and have used it lots since.
IIRC it cost about £70 - not a professional's standard but good for DIY.
Don't bother with cheap drills.
Buy a Makita (or Metabo, etc.. i.e. good) Li-On.
You will thank God every few minutes that you did.
Nicad and Nimh batteries are a waste of money - however cheap they are.

I don't agree that NiCd or NiMh are necessarily a waste of money. You
can have excellent service from wither if you start with decent ones. I
have had 4.5 years use of the original 3 18V NiMh packs that came with
my Makita combi and they are only just beginning to show a slight
reduction in capacity - however they are still very good.

Seconded. When I see a DeWalt or Makita Li-Ion drill at something over
£250 a pop, then compare them with the sub-£20 18V I use, I just can't see
that these "professional" units are 10 times better. For my use, they're
not even twice as good (since both have 2 batteries).

My drill with three NiMh batteries was about £250 IIRC. I would say it
is easily more than 10x better than the cheap tat versions. The whole
package just works so much better.

OK, it might be Porsche vs. Ford, but most people are qute content with
cheap/cheerful/gets-the-job-done.

No objection to cheap'n'cheerful, its the gets the job done bit that is
in question. Good battery drills not only make the job much easier, they
will also do a much wide range of jobs in the first place.

--
Cheers,

John.