Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Exposed nails on shingles

On Apr 6, 8:03 am, woods wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

They are 30 yr. Cetainteed asphalt shingles. There are 17 exposed
nails in the middle of the roof right below where the shingle above it
ends.

17 nails in one shingle? Holy crap!

JK

No, I mean there are 17 shingles with one exposed nail in each.

Brand new house? If the builder won't replace each compromised
shingle, I'd hire my own roofer to repair the damage, and deduct my
roofer's charges. The builder should be amenable to having his own
roofer make repairs however. I'd recommend removing each offending
nail, and slipping an aluminum flashing card under the tab with the
nail hole so water will run out onto the underlying shingle. Maybe
lift a tab above the repair to drive a nail into the shingle through
the flasher to keep it in place. Tom