Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Exposed nails on shingles

RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:03 am, woods wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

They are 30 yr. Cetainteed asphalt shingles. There are 17 exposed
nails in the middle of the roof right below where the shingle above it
ends.
17 nails in one shingle? Holy crap!

No, I mean there are 17 shingles with one exposed nail in each.

That's a really curious arrangement. Are all of the nails on the same
row and in a continuous run of shingles? I've seen nails run off
course due to operator error, but usually they realize it as soon as
they put a shingle in on the row above.

I'm now starting to wonder if there's a problem with the sheathing and
they were trying to keep the problem from telegraphing through the
shingles.

Have you investigated up in the attic? What did you see?

Most likely a sloppy hired hand with a power nailer who didn't care
about staying above the nailing line.