Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Setting up wireless home network

On Apr 5, 10:53*am, ls02 wrote:
I am setting up home network with four PCs. One is in the office and
is connected to an 802.11n wireless router via a network cable. Two
others have 802.11n wireless cards. Unfortunately one PC is in
opposite side of the house floor above from the router and the signal
is very weak. I am not sure it is due to the card or it is just
because there so many walls between the card and the router the signal
is very weak and transfer rate is very low.

What's the possible solution to this problem? I am thinking about
running a network cable from the router to the room where the PC is.

You didn't indicate whether the WiFi card for the PC is in a slot on
the motherboard, or external. Internal cards don't have quite the
range external antennae do - so one solution might be to get a USB
wireless antenna that could be mounted up above the PC on the wall or
some such.

Another possibility is to get a commercial-grade antenna for the
router/access point, which could boost the signal.

Finally, if you are adventurous enough or have the geek skills, you
could replace the firmware of your router with Tomato (http://
www.polarcloud.com/tomato) or one of the other third-party, open-
source firmwares (http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-
turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php) that allow you to
boost the signal of your wireless. Mind you, it's not possible for all
wireless routers, but it's well worth a shot. We did this with the
router at my church, and were able to get signal through three thick
granite walls without danger of burning out the antenna or unit.