Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default After years of using wood glue I realise I'm using it wrong!

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:57:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

MM wrote:

For the first time in years I happened to be reading the blurb on the
back of my almost-used plastic bottle of Evostick wood glue and was
amazed to discover that it says apply the glue to ONE surface whereas
I have been applying it to both surfaces for yonks! I bought a new
bottle of glue at Wilkinson (I'm trying their own brand of PVA at half
the price of Evostick) and its instructions say the same: Apply to one
surface.

So what is wrong about brushing a thin layer onto BOTH surfaces? I am
intrigued!

MM

I did a furniture restoration course taught by an old school
craftsman. Half expected to be boiling up old hides and rotting animal
parts to be used as the wood glue. Nope, told PVA glue was the best
stuff ever invented for woodworking and that it had to be slathered in
vast quantities onto -both- parts to be joined. Assemble then wipe
off the gallons of overspill with a wet cloth. I appreciated the high
quality of his work, so listened up (as the americans and BBC
scriptwiters say).

I can't remember why I started applying the glue to both surfaces.
Maybe it was a throwback to carpentry lessons at Swattenden, where we
DID use fish glue! I remember the little pot that was kept warm.

Anyway, I've never had any problem with PVA. It's marvellous stuff.

MM