Posted to alt.home.repair
gnu / linux gnu / linux is offline

Default 48 volts with switch off!

On Apr 5, 3:39*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:43:59 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Apr 5, 4:20?pm, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
I replaced some existing incandescent bulbs by LED bulbs, then noticed
that they do not switch off completely but still glow dimly.

Checking the voltage at the lamp socket with a high-resistance
electronic multimeter, I get a reading of 48v!! A few volts might be OK
-- induction, stray voltages, etc., but 48V!!!

This occurs in two different rooms, but I think the various lighting
circuits are all connected to one breaker.

What could cause this?

Perce

its the meter, take a walk around high sensitivity meters will show 60
volts under the neighborhood power line........

connect a 100 watt light bulb with the meter voltage will go away.

relax yours must be one of the most frequent questions asked.

While the meter reading may not be accurate if the meter is a digital
type, he said the LED bulbs do not shut off completely and glow dimly.
This indicates that there is indeed some electrical leakage bleeding
over from somewhere. *I suspect a bad neutral connection and the
leakage is being fed back most likely thru an appliance or the
filament of a lightbulb somewhere downstream. *

I'd remove every lightbulb and anything plugged into every outlet on
that circuit. *The bulb or appliance that stops the leakage is likely
the fixture with the bad connection. *If you can not find it in this
manner, open every fixture/outlet on this circuit and check for bad
connections. *Use an ANALOG meter for testing.

I agree, sounds like a bad ground (neutral)