Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Fluidyne (and solar powered!) Engines

On Apr 5, 3:53*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Han wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in
I have been wondering whether there would be a way to recover any heat
from the exhaust/flue from my heating system and distribute it throughout
my basement. *Here in Jersey, my basement does not ever get really cold,
but it does get cool in winter. *Just when the furnace works hardest, the
basement is coldest. *Would a fluidyne engine be able to take heat from
the flue, power a fan to blow the air over the flue pipe, and use the
cold around the floor and behind the cupboard against the wall for a cold
spot for the engine?

Unless you have an old and really inefficient heating system, there
probably is not any safe and practical way. If you can remove enough
heat from the flue gasses to power a fluidyne, then you really do need a
heating system upgrade.

And if you did remove enough heat to power the fluidyne, then the cooled
gasses probably wouldn't go up the flue.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

A draught can be established without a temperature differential.