Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default [OT] Fluidyne (and solar powered!) Engines

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Han wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in

I have been wondering whether there would be a way to recover any
heat from the exhaust/flue from my heating system and distribute it
throughout my basement. Here in Jersey, my basement does not ever
get really cold, but it does get cool in winter. Just when the
furnace works hardest, the basement is coldest. Would a fluidyne
engine be able to take heat from the flue, power a fan to blow the
air over the flue pipe, and use the cold around the floor and behind
the cupboard against the wall for a cold spot for the engine?

Unless you have an old and really inefficient heating system, there
probably is not any safe and practical way. If you can remove enough
heat from the flue gasses to power a fluidyne, then you really do need
a heating system upgrade.

And if you did remove enough heat to power the fluidyne, then the
cooled gasses probably wouldn't go up the flue.

OK, not enough heat to worry about then. We had the furnace replaced
about 8 years ago with a new natural gas unit heating hot water
baseboard. The house is much more livable and has a more constant
temperature than with the old noisy steam unit that needed all that
attention.

--
Best regards
Han