Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Setting up wireless home network

ls02 wrote:
I am setting up home network with four PCs. One is in the office and
is connected to an 802.11n wireless router via a network cable. Two
others have 802.11n wireless cards. Unfortunately one PC is in
opposite side of the house floor above from the router and the signal
is very weak. I am not sure it is due to the card or it is just
because there so many walls between the card and the router the signal
is very weak and transfer rate is very low.

What's the possible solution to this problem? I am thinking about
running a network cable from the router to the room where the PC is.

That will work, of course, but before you get out the drill, I'd try
moving your access point a couple feet higher, and reorienting it. If it
has the little swivel antennas, try moving them around as well. Small
changes can make a big difference. Are these PCs laptops or desktops?
I'd try a different PC in the problem room, and see what kind of
handshake it gets. Depending on what type of PC and card, they also sell
external antennas to snatch more signal out of the air.

--
aem sends...