Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Tracing mains water pipe in ground ??

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Climate is always changing, precisely my point.

It may be your point, but it wasn't mine.
I was talking about the CO2 level.

Sigh Go on then, make your point about CO2 levels again, I'm
loosing interest. But I would like to know how they measured CO2
levels 100 years ago - and indeed why they would have bothered. You
also claim they measured them in 1959 - same question applies.

I'm afraid you are showing a lack of knowledge of scientific history.
100 years ago, ie in 1909, it would have been a classroom exercise
to determine the composition of the air.
Every chemistry schoolbook would have given the figures.

I'm afraid you are showing a lack of knowledge of social history.

Education
wasn't even compulsory until 1918, so I'm bloody sure they didn't have

fully
equipped labs with air quality monitoring equipment.

I don't see what universal education has to do with it.

Your claim, as far as I can see, is that it would have been difficult
to measure CO2 levels in 1909.
I'm telling you that it would have been a trivial task
in the chemistry department of any university at the time.

Faraday was attending Davy's lectures on chemistry 100 years earlier.

It is not relevant to this point, but I believe most grammar schools
and major "public schools" in the UK would have had science laboratories
of some kind in 1909.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net