Christian McArdle

Default 16A fused spur

That's the connector side of things - alternatives abound. Now, what
about overcurrent and short-circuit protection? What you'll have with
any of the above - or, indeed, hard-wiring direct into the 20A switch -
is a dedicated socket into which only your timble dryer can connect,
so there's no chance of an overload from multiple appliances sharing

the socket.

Is the tumble-drier a load which can itself produce an overload?

Well, despite your reasoned suggestion that overcurrent protection may be
met safely by a B32A MCB, the instructions state that protection for
overcurrent must be provided for 16A, and I suspect the wiring regulations
will expect you to follow specific manufacturer's instructions. I'll look
again, just in case 20A will be allowable, which allows a better choice of
protection if old "UK" style ratings are used.

If, however, you're determined to add a 16A or 20A overcurrent
protection element, RS will be happy to sell you either a "simple"
fuseholder for 6x32mm fuses - fuseholder 236-5731 rated to 16A,
pack of 10 16A fuses to fit at 209-9298 or 209-9311 for Aunty Serge;

This is the direction I appear to be moving in. The load is mostly
resistive, I'd imagine. Can't imagine the motor is particularly powerful.
It's not like it is 1600 spin, like its room mate. In fact, with 1600 spin
and the 16A upgrade, the washing machine should become the slowest link in
the chain when it comes to cycling through the washing. (Often have 3 or 4
loads to pass through in a day and have to sit around waiting for the dryer
to finish, particularly if quick wash is used).

or even a CBE (a Circuit Breaker For Equipment

Will investigate. Sounds intriguing.

These last are double-pole switching, so could sensibly replace your
existing 20A switch

The current switch is a pretty 3 gang grid switch above worktop level also
shared with dishwasher and washing machine. Definitely a "want to keep"
situation for aesthetic reasons. All 3 items are off a single 6mm T&E B32A
radial shared with nowt else. Should be plenty of diversity to be found to
keep the lot happy. After all, I've seen houses with a single 32A ring
running that lot, plus TV, microwave, kettle, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if official 16A fused spurs start becoming more
available. There appears to be a lot more in the way of 16A appliances
coming out of Europe, where they are typically run on dedicated 16A radial
circuits.

Christian.