Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Exposed nails on shingles

On Apr 4, 10:11*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've heard of putting a dab of roofing tar on the exposed
nailheads. To keep the nail from rusting. But, that's a heck
of a lot of work.

No, this isn't to keep them from rusting. Exposed nails can be a
source of roof leaks, so you put a dab of roofing cement / tar / caulk
on them to keep them from leaking. I would call these "shiners" and
would try to scout them out and seal them at the end of a roofing
job. It's not unusual to have a few errant nails and, as long as they
are taken care of at the end of the job, it isn't a big deal.
Tarring a half dozen nails ISN'T a heck of a lot of work.

JK