Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default VFD and motor RPM

The usual rule of thumb for VFD's is that you have rated torque up to
the nameplate RPM (ie less than your 5 hp), and rated HP above nameplate
RPM (this is a function of the amount of power the motor can handle
without overheating. )

Your application would require running the motor at 180 hz and 3 times
the rated rpm. Pumps require pretty much full output for extended
periods of time. I doubt if the motor would take it for any reasonable
period. You could might get a test run in without too much grief.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Kind of a follow up to my pump RPM question.

I found a 1200 RPM 5 hp motor and an old Hitachi SJ200 5hp. vfd in the spare
stockroom (er junkpile)

Any reason I can't spin this combo at 3600 RPM? Still have 5 horse?

Karl