Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Solar Powered Attic Fans ; good investment and reliable ???

On Apr 4, 8:36*am, wrote:
On Apr 4, 12:17*am, JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:29*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,

wrote:

A 3X improvement is not an order of magnitude, which would be 10X.

Agreed. In the 10x case, I'm talking about energy density per unit of
area, of the detector itself. In the 3x case, I'm talking about the
solar collector assembly as a whole. The discrepancy is due to gathering
a large area of light and focusing it on a small detector.

Detector? *What is a detector?

Maybe I'm using a non-standard term. Solar cell?

Solar power can be very efficent and economical to install. I walled
up my screen room with plastic corigated greenhoues sheathing and that
supplimented my NG furnace. The panels cost me about $200. I spent a
Saturday morning installing them. My fuel bill was half of what it was
last year. Im planning on putting up some solar panels for heating hot
water. This is a heck of a lot more efficent than photocells. At
present I cant afford the up front cost but I would like to super
insulate my home. I have been in a home that was super insulated an
their electric bill in an all electric home was half of mine which is
electric/NG.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Yes, using solar in the manner you describe can be efficient and
economical to use in some cases. * However what we are discussing is
the generation of electricity via solar. * The thread started with a
question about using solar to run an attic fan.- Hide quoted text -

In other words you are just BSing instead of thinking about practical
applications.

Jimmie