Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sickrick sickrick is offline

Default Repairing vintage Philips 7871 receiver

In article ,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

In article ,
sickrick wrote:

Ugh I hope I don't have to replace the treble control pot, that would be
a pain with the way its layed out...

Unfortunately, I suspect that you may very well need to. The symptoms
lead me to suspect that the pot has gone open... either the wiper has
broken, or the conductive track has been worn through. Since pots are
mechanical contrivances, they're subject to mechanical wear-out.

I'd guess that the three most common age-related problems in vintage
receivers of this sort are open/noisy switches, open/noisy pots, and
bad (leaky or high-ESR) electrolytic capacitors.

yeah but the same pot works fine for the right channel, its not noisy at
all..very smooth in fact, which leads me to believe its a problem with
something else since only the left channel is not being affected by the
treble pot