Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] boardjunkie@techie.com is offline

Default Repairing vintage Philips 7871 receiver

On Apr 3, 3:25*pm, sickrick wrote:
Hey all,

I have a small (but major) problem with my Philips 7871 receiver. *The
treble pot only controls the right channel. *The left channel is stuck
on 0 dB: when i turn the pot, there is no change in the sound. *The pot
works fine with the right channel and the bass pot works fine with both
channels. *I have a feeling I need to buy a multimeter, but its been
many years since I used one and I've completely forgotten how to use it. *
I also am looking for a service/repair manual for this, but I can't find
one. *I took off the casing and looked around for any visual clues, but
everything looks fine inside. *A few questions:

Is there anything else I should look for? *

Anyone here have experience repairing this particular piece of
equipment? *

If I bought a multimeter, how would I go about troubleshooting this
problem?

How much would it cost to repair this problem if I took it to a tech

Any idea where I could find a service/repair manual?

Please help!!!

Thanks
Rick

Sounds like the wiper has lost contact with the slip ring inside due
to either oxidation or dried up grease. Just get ahold of some Caig
Deoxit spray. Shoot it into the opening where the solder lugs/pc pins
enter cover. It may be difficult to get to depending on the
orientation of the pot in relation to everything around it. I've made
extensions for the spray tube out of creativly manipulated shrink
tubing.....saves alot of tear down when it works.