Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default Repairing vintage Philips 7871 receiver

"N_Cook" wrote in message
sickrick wrote in message
news
Hey all,

I have a small (but major) problem with my Philips 7871
receiver. The
treble pot only controls the right channel. The left
channel is stuck
on 0 dB: when i turn the pot, there is no change in the
sound. The pot
works fine with the right channel and the bass pot works
fine with both
channels. I have a feeling I need to buy a multimeter,
but its been
many years since I used one and I've completely forgotten
how to use it.
I also am looking for a service/repair manual for this,
but I can't find
one. I took off the casing and looked around for any
visual clues, but
everything looks fine inside. A few questions:

Is there anything else I should look for?

Anyone here have experience repairing this particular
piece of
equipment?

If I bought a multimeter, how would I go about
troubleshooting this
problem?

How much would it cost to repair this problem if I took
it to a tech

Any idea where I could find a service/repair manual?

Please help!!!

Thanks
Rick

Is there a tone control defeat switch (sometimes called
flat) on this unit? If so push it on and off a few times and
see if the tone function is restored. You should also try
turning the affected control back and forth several times.

David