Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Forming splined form to round aluminium pot shaft

hr(bob) wrote in message
On Apr 2, 10:13 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
I've returned to the pipe cutter idea.
I've opened out the slot from 3.5mm to just over 5mm and it will now hold
neatly and freely rotating, a 16mm diameter x 5 mm ball race.
I know I can grind into the outer race with a Dremmel and thin disc
(freehand) and cutting 1mm spaced teeth is possible as proved by cutting
,freehand so rough, some 1mm spaced teeth around a steel washer. Running a
24 TPI hacksaw tightly around a pot shaft produced a ring of about 19

small
indents, so 1mm is about right for 16. Next a bit of trig to find a whole
number of rotations into 16 mm diameter to give about 1mm spacing. Set the
Dremmel on the compound/cross slide of a basic lathe (no dividing plate),
and ballrace tightened to some part threaded stud held in the chuck.
Then with lathe motor isolated find a set of gear ratios and pulley marks,
to give the required steps, by turning the first motor pulley by hand, and
maybe lightly clamping per step.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Norm:

You obviously have too much spare time. I have a bunch of things
needing help. Do you make house calls on the west side of the big
pond. G

Bob Hofmann

I like a challenge and may learn something along the way. A week ago , if
someone asked me - can you cut a 0.5mm wide slot in the steel of a ball
race, using mundane equipment, I would have said no.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England