Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Any _relatively_ inexpensive TIGs?

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Karl Townsend wrote:
I have an older Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 AC/DC/TIG combo welder that has
served well. Got it for $400.

I can't weld AL for beans with it. My son can make it do anything. he's
pressure test welded many AL irrigation pipes among other projects.

My old eyes can't tell if there's a weld puddle with AL.

Karl

No, I don't think you'll see a puddle with AL.

I never have.

It just goes from solid to welded - or to dripping on the floor...

Richard

It's called hotshortness. It reaches the melting point, and is so light, it
collapses under its own weight. I have never mastered Al. Did a bunch of
stainless, and tons of just plain steel. Seeing the puddle, or at least
understanding what it is doing is critical in any welding, and yes, there
are many times you can't or don't see the puddle, but experience tells you
what's going on and the next step.

Steve