Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Forming splined form to round aluminium pot shaft

I've returned to the pipe cutter idea.
I've opened out the slot from 3.5mm to just over 5mm and it will now hold
neatly and freely rotating, a 16mm diameter x 5 mm ball race.
I know I can grind into the outer race with a Dremmel and thin disc
(freehand) and cutting 1mm spaced teeth is possible as proved by cutting
,freehand so rough, some 1mm spaced teeth around a steel washer. Running a
24 TPI hacksaw tightly around a pot shaft produced a ring of about 19 small
indents, so 1mm is about right for 16. Next a bit of trig to find a whole
number of rotations into 16 mm diameter to give about 1mm spacing. Set the
Dremmel on the compound/cross slide of a basic lathe (no dividing plate),
and ballrace tightened to some part threaded stud held in the chuck.
Then with lathe motor isolated find a set of gear ratios and pulley marks,
to give the required steps, by turning the first motor pulley by hand, and
maybe lightly clamping per step.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England