Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Will my tractor pull this?

My 2 cents:
If you plowed last fall, the clods will break up easier than if you
are plowing and disking right away.
If your "old" 2N has a strong engine, that's one thing, but if "old"
means worn-out, that's another.

I had (and still have) a 1947 8N and used it to work 40 acres for a
while. It did the job, but soooo slow.

You will be able to pull the disk if it's not set too aggressively, or
weighted too heavily.
You really do need some speed to do a good job, because "throwing"
the soil helps to break it up. I believe they talk about going 6 miles
per hour.

Check the bearings. And check that the grease zerks work.

I think you main problem will be turning around on a piece that small.
Before you buy the disk, just imagine driving around your garden plot.
If you go too far toward one corner (if there;s a fence or obstacle),
you may "paint yourself into a corner" and have to get another machine
to pull the disk backwards so you can get it out of the way of the
tractor because YOU CAN'T BACK A DISK UP!
Even it you don't have a "corner" problem, you will find yourself
driving all over the place to get squared-up for another run at the
garden. And, you don't want to be doing all that driving ON the garden,
because you will be compacting the soil more with every pass.

If you really want to use the tractor to disk the garden, then check
into a 3 point 5' or 6' disk that's for sale at farm stores. That way
you can back right up to a fence, drop the disk and go forward. It'll
cost more than $200, of course.

I think $200 is too high.
I was gonna suggest that you check craiglist, but I forgot that right
now everyone wants to BUY one. Wait till fall or winter to shop.

Pete Stanaitis

stryped wrote:
I have an old Ford 2n. SOmeone at work has an old 6 foot John Deer
pull disc for 200 bucks. It is a 6 foot. I would use it mostly on my
80x40 garden after using a single plow. Willmy tractor comfortably
pull this? Is it a good deal?