Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Lyford Glenn Lyford is offline

Default Will my tractor pull this?

On Apr 2, 8:46*am, stryped wrote:
I have an old Ford 2n. SOmeone at work has an old 6 foot John Deer
pull disc for 200 bucks. It is a 6 foot. I would use it mostly on my
80x40 garden after using a single plow. Willmy tractor comfortably
pull this? Is it a good deal?

Try alt.fan.tractors but my first thought is "yes...depending". My
dad used to skip plowing and just harrow with a 2-gang 6' harrow,
pulled by an AC-B (smaller than your 2N). But the harrow was an old
horse-drawn unit that had adjustable gang angles, which allowed you to
adjust the amount of drag on the tractor. It also depends on the type
of soil you have, how wet it is, how much weight you have to add to
the top of the harrow to get it to dig in the amount you need, and
whether you need to use a drag (board, piece of fencing) to smooth out
behind it as well.
Since you're plowing first, you probably don't need to run as harsh an
angle on the harrow to get it to smooth out.

As for cost, 200 sounds reasonable, depending on condition. If it has
a bunch of broken disks and the axles won't turn (or wobble like
crazy), it's probably too much. If it works, it's probably ok.

Just my $0.02,
--Glenn Lyford