David Hall

Default Reconditioning hand plane

"Michael Daly" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
I bought a Millers Falls #14 at a garage sale for C$2 (US$1.50).
I dated it to 1950-1955 or so.

It's in mediocre condition, well used with some rust and a lot
of grime. It's not worth keeping as an "antique" tool but
is definitely worth using as a working tool. To that end, I'm
reconditioning it. I disassembled it, stripped off the rust
and repainted the frog and body. The iron and chipbreaker
just needed a bit of steel wool and solvent to remove the
grunge.

The problem is the lever cap. It's chrome plated and the chrome
is pitted and chipped. I'm not in a position to spend the money
on having it professionally re-plated, so I'm looking for alternatives.
I DAGS and only found books and stuff on refurbishing hand planes.
Nothing online on what to do with the chrome. Removing the chrome
looks like using nasty chemicals. I'd consider removing it and
painting the cap, or just polishing it up and putting on a clear
coat. Any suggestions?

Maybe I should just sand off the worst of it and wait till I can
afford to get it re-plated.

Mike

I like my Miller Falls 14 better than my Stanley 5 or 5C. You said it
was going to be a user so I don't really see why the need for perfect
chrome on the lever cap. Clean it up, polish if you must, put on some
wax and (assuming the rest of the tuning and sharpening have already
been done) make some shavings.

Dave Hall