Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] anythingyoulike@hotmail.com is offline

Default squeezing old floorboads together (again)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:40:57 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

thanks for all the useful comments and suggestions. In my case the
skirting board is unobtainable now so to replace it with a copy is
VERY expensive, plus I want to conserve the originals. Having said
that, the skirting boards are nailed to the walls into wood blocks set
into the brickwork (as was common in 1880) so it is possible to prize
them off undamaged if you are careful.

Caulking is a very intersting idea. I'll look in to that.

many thanks,

Robert

Dunno about your area but if you speak of the tall( 8" or so) skirting
with the decorative top I replaced some of mine ( Victorian Tenement
Flat in Glasgow) with MDF cut to size by a timber merchant and topped
with replacement mouldings that match exactly the originals .This
skirting is also nailed to battens fixed to wooden tapered plugs
fitted between the bricks .These are almost guaranteed to come away
from the wall when u remove the skirting