Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Critter Spray Gun - what it can/can not shoot

On Apr 1, 1:12 pm, Pat Barber wrote:

Any other suggestions on something other than paint ???

If you want to spray, then you might try a good interior/exterior
polyurethane in gloss. No flattners in gloss, and you can get them
tinted. Polyurethane is sneaky stuff as it seems a lot more viscous
than it should be. Since the gloss stuff is almost all resin/carriers
and solvents, I am thinking that you could thin it enough to get it
sprayable with that gun without compromising your finish.

I suppose I could always go to rattle cans....

I read once what rattle can paint cost compared to a quart can...
nasty. Besides, unless your project is really small, you won't get a
lot of material on anything with cans anyway. For director's chairs,
you would probably use 3 - 4 cans a chair to get a nice finish on
them.

In an industry publication I read a couple of years ago, it was
estimated that the average rattle can delivered on 35% of material to
the target. How's that for inefficient? I still use them on really
small stuff or in a pinch, though.

Your views are always excellent in my opinion.

Thanks, Pat. I appreciate that.

Here's something to look at concerning the Critter gun. I noticed
that they weren't too critical overall as they are selling the same
gun in their stores:

http://www.woodcraft.com/articleprin...?ArticleID=699

I saw the reference in this thread to the Wagner gun. I actually used
a Wagner Power Shot Professional (model number unknown) and it worked
great for me shooting latex paint.

I was finishing up a workshop for a client, and he was worried about
getting his Hardie plank painted before a large group of storms were
to hit. He and his son were to do the painting, but that was a
project slated for several days away. I told him I couldn't do it as
my airless was tied up on another job (big shop!) and rolling cement
plank was not a good use of time.

He told me he had a sprayer as well. He went into the garage and
pulled out one of those Wagners that had a slingpack for the paint
feed as well as the quart cup. I wasn't interested. But he made me
an offer I couldn't refuse (hey.. I'm not made of stone!) so I decided
to give his gun a whirl.

I was spraying Glidden deep tint base paint in a deep brick red. The
gun acted up a lot and sputtered and spewed. It was as bad as
expected. I goofed with it a bit, then watched as my client looked
broken hearted when I announced that the gun didn't work.

I got to thinking, I remembered that years ago I had a painter work
for me that carried one of these around. He only took it out of the
truck if he had a lot of latex enamel to spray on doors, or if he had
louvered doors. His work always looked presentable.

So I cleaned the gun thoroughly, which was easy. I cut the paint by
10 - 15%, and loaded it up again. It performed flawlessly. I put on
two coats of paint on his entire shop, and shot about 7-8 gallons of
paint through it. No problems at all, and the finished product looked
nice.

A few things I found out about the Wagner gun. First, buy the most
powerful one they make. The others are a joke. Second, the gun MUST
be kept scrupulously clean. And I cannot stress how important it is
to have your paint as clean as a freshly opened can. This gun clogs
easily and the filters just don't work well. Third, make sure you
thin, no matter what the baloney says on the box about not needing to
do so.

I have used mine now and then in a pinch, and have no qualms about
using it. I only use it for latex application, interior and exterior,
enamel and flat wall. But I have better equipment (airless, cup guns)
for latex application, so it is rarely used.

Like the Critter, they have a place, you just have to practice a bit
with it and decide what that place is in your repertoire.

I think personally if I were in your shoes and wanting to use your
existing equipment on the director's, I would look at a tinted poly in
your Critter gun.

Robert