Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Mounting 6” 3 Jaw Chuck

Just the obvious, make certain the cam pins rotate the correct amount and
the new back plate and spindle are spotlessly clean. take a light test cut
on the backing plate, release and remount. Make certain that the backing
plate mounts true consistently. Then and only then machine to size.
Steve

wrote in message
I bought a used 13 X 40 Jet lathe a few weeks ago. When I bought it
I knew the 3 jaw chuck didn’t run true but the price was right. The
chuck it self hold true to less the 1 mil TIR but anything chucked up
wobbles about 20 mill. This chuck has the replaceable jaws and is a
D4 mount. The annoyance level has reached critical values so I am
going to fix it.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to fix this?

I bought a new plain back chuck and a back plate. Any lesions
learned machining the back plate?

Thanks