Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight Bandsaw Blades.

On 2009-03-31, mac davis wrote:

My personal rule of thumb for blades at HF:
If it's carbide and on sale, buy it, if it's a bandsaw or jig saw blade, run the
other way..
I use their 10" carbide blades on the chop saw and like them, but the BS blades
that I got there when I was really desperate were sharp for about 30 seconds and
then wouldn't cut or track..

As Leon said, BS blades are not expensive... I have mine made up at a local saw
shop and pay $12 to $14 for 105" blades that work very well.. YMWV

Very interesting and informative thread. For you hardcore woodworkers, a
band saw welder might be an valid option. Buy saw stock, weld your own to
need. In metal work, a welder is a necessity. Here's a couple options.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/02/15/rea...blade-welders/

nb

I looked into that a few years ago, but how much would it actually save per
blade, and how much would the equipment cost?
Then, there's the learning curve.. Plus the question of where do I use it?
I wouldn't want something like that IN the shop.. I even have my grinders
outside..

Bottom line for me is that for as little money as good blades cost, I'd prefer
to spend my time turning wood and let the saw shop make a few bucks a blade..

Sort of like some of the turning tools that I've chosen to buy instead of make..
I'm not willing to learn blacksmithing and such to avoid buying a $100 tool..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing