Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Strange observations during a power outage

wrote:

One other thing. I often notice on poles there are smaller
transformers that have no output cables. They just have two
insulators. The high voltage goes in one side and comes back out the
other. All I can figure is that they are a "choke" to maintain some
sort of regulation.

If it is in series with the high voltage wire it is probably a
"sectionalizer".
Typical pictu
http://www.cooperpower.com/Products/Distribution/Sectionalizers/HydraulicGH.asp

A description of what they do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recloser
I don't think the description is very good - I probably had a better one
in an old thread.

"Sectionalizers" are used with "reclosers". The sectionalizer can be
small because it always opens when there is no current. The recloser is
much larger. There can be many sectionalizers downstream from one recloser.

--
bud--