Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Harbor Freight Bandsaw Blades.

"Frank Howell" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:55:59 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

My personal rule of thumb for blades at HF:
If it's carbide and on sale, buy it, if it's a bandsaw or jig saw
blade, run the other way..
I use their 10" carbide blades on the chop saw and like them, but the
BS blades that I got there when I was really desperate were sharp for
about 30 seconds and then wouldn't cut or track..

As Leon said, BS blades are not expensive... I have mine made up at a
local saw shop and pay $12 to $14 for 105" blades that work very
well.. YMWV

I'm fully aware of the crapshoot involved when buying stuff at Harbor
Freight.
My theory for HF is the same as for Radio Shack.
75 percent of their stuff is pure, unadulterated crap.
20 percent is usable if you're not expecting the kind of quality you
get with... well, real quality.
And 5 percent is actually pretty good stuff.

So where do the bandsaw blades fall in those categories?
I'm thinking of picking up some of their -$10 ones.
They have $20+ ones, too, but if I'm going to spend that much, I'll
go to Woodcraft.

Anyone actually use their blades? Are they.....
Crap?
Ok for the money, but don't expect much?
Better than average, a good bargain?
Diamond in the rough?

Or the final choice...
Wait for my Iturra Design catalog because they have great blades
under 10 bucks?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Finally a post from someone who has tried the HF blades. Kudos.

I missed that part, did Mac actually mention that he bought the cheap $10
blades that the OP was asking about?