Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange observations during a power outage

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:24:12 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I know that lcd and crt sets dont use a large amount of power, but
I've heard that the plasma tv sets suck a huge amount of power, and
produce a lot of heat as a result. Being someone who has the tv on
almost all the time, I dont want a plasma type. I read that of the
three, the crt sets use the least power, but the lcd ones are just a
slight increase, unlike the plasma sets that are more like electric
space heaters as far as power usage. For that matter, I have never
understood how a plasma set works anyhow.

For same screen area, CRT uses the most power, plasma uses a little
less, and LCD uses the least. Plasma TVs are big power consumers by
generally being made in larger sizes.

- Don Klipstein )

The difference between LCD and Plasma is subjective.
AN LSC screen draws constant power while a Plasma draws varying power
depending on the screen contents. Highest draw is all white screen
(means all cells fired) while minimum draw is with black sctreen (no
cells fired).

Actual AVERAGE power use is very similar for equal sized screens - and
something just over half an equivalent CRT.

Remember also, Plasma is 42" and above (perhaps a few 37") while CRT
generally maxes out ar 42" and LCD can go from 2" to 60 or more. So
particularly with Plasma, the power is directly related to size, while
less so with CRT and LCD.