Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Rotary Table ???

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:05:50 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have looked at a couple rotary tables on-line, but have not looked at one
in person. Are they designed so that they can be rotated continuously 360
degrees or do they have a travel limit? It seems obvious to me that they
should be designed for 3060 travel, but I have learned better than to assume
anything with metal working tools.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

=============
While rotary tables in general have continuous rotation, you may
be better off with a dividing head. It all depends what you are
doing. Indeed it is possible that an inexpensive "spindex" (TM)
will be adequate if what you're machining will fit a 5C collet
and you only need integral degrees.
http://www.shars.com/product_categor..._Index_Fixture
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=1464

Can you give us more information on the type of work that you
anticipate doing?

FWIW -- I bought a rotaty table and indexing plates [which is a
dividing head] from WTTOOL. I have no complaints, and it works
well, but is rough in operation and required some
cleaning/rework.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/20850
and
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Set_WT_Import_
also available
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=
you can download instructions in pdf.

Unless money is exceptionally tight, and you can spend the time,
I suggest YUSA or HHIP. Note that even these dividing heads will
not cut gears with some prime numbers such as 127 teeth [metric
change gears] without a 127 tooth index plate, although you can
make your own 127 hole plate using the verneer dials. [Send me an
email if you want an excel spreadsheet to calculate the
degrees/min/sec for a given number of divisions.]
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...ctID=3900-2308
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...ctID=3900-2401
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...2468&PMCTLG=00
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...2468&PMCTLG=00