Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Rotary Table ???

There is full rotation of the table, Bob, as Pete commented, and on most RTs
the screw/worm can be disengaged to allow the table to turn freely (so ya
don't need to crank the handle to get to the opposite side).

For precision positioning, turning the handle to the next position would be
the most accurate way to ensure that the positions are precisely spaced by
the readings on the dial.

Being able to disengage the screw/worm allows quick movements for spacing
that doesn't require seconds of accuracy.

Some small RTs I've seen advertised don't have the feature where the worm
can be disengaged.

In addition to disengaging the worm, there should also be a screw to
adjust/limit the engagement of the worm. With this adjustable stop screw,
the amount of worm engagement can be adjusted so that each time the worm is
re-engaged, it stops just short of dragging or binding. When properly
adjusted, backlash is non-existent or at least minimal.

Another adjustment, which is important for acuracy, is a method of adjusting
out end play in the worm shaft. End play in the worm shaft will introduce
backlash and could allow the table to shift when the workpiece is being
machined (even though the table locks should prevent shifting).

A feature which is probably present on all RT models except for maybe a
couple of hobby RTs, is a resettable zero indicator on the handwheel dial.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have looked at a couple rotary tables on-line, but have not looked at one
in person. Are they designed so that they can be rotated continuously 360
degrees or do they have a travel limit? It seems obvious to me that they
should be designed for 3060 travel, but I have learned better than to
assume anything with metal working tools.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com